Friday, April 5, 2013

Crystal Bowersox-All That For This

Crystal Bowersox, who nearly won American Idol back in 2010, has no released two albums and will be starring in a Broadway musical about Patsy Cline. Critics argue that former Idol contestants have no shot at a career, but I'd say Crystal is doing pretty well.

All That For This, Crystal's second full length album, is exactly the kind of music you'd expect from this gal: folk and blues, with heartfelt lyrics and perfect use of instruments.

1. Dead Weight- This is the first single off the album and really sets the tone. Raw music, that's what this is. Her voice is smooth, a real treat to the ears. She's giving advice in this tune, telling listeners to let go of the things holding us down. I can't help but think of her Idol nickname, Mamasox. Because in this song it's like she's comforting all of us who have been hurt- just like a mama would.

And if you don't know, I'll tell you now. Just lay down your load and wipe your frown. Cuz if you're holding onto dead weight, it's just holding you down. Oh you're gonna sink or swim, you better let it go now.

2. Movin' On- Crystal's voice oozes with sensuality and croon in this one. She is sure to tell us that she's moving on and over whatever dude left her. I love the use of trumpet in this song, it makes the tune extra jazzy. At the end when she goes into that big run, you just want to stand up and cheer for the girl.

My head is heavy now, it won't let me down, keep it real, keep it undercover. Whoa, I'm moving on.

3. Everything Falls Into Place- Crystal's vocals own this song. It's a happy little diddy, sprinkling in hope and security for those who are doubting life or going through challenges. I just know this will be a crowd favorite at concerts. The bridge especially speaks to listeners, as Crystal sings...


everything that comes to me, even if it is a tragedy
Leaves me stronger than yesterday
Trust me, I've seen this before
Love and heart can open doors
And the pain will start to fade away

4. Home. Funny story about this song. I've been waiting for it to appear on an album for two years. Yep. I saw Crystal play live in the summer of 2011. She did a few songs from her debut album plus some Idol favorites. But she also sang  this song- she had just written it a few days prior and didn't even have a name for it. She asked the crowd what we thought the name should be. It was a cool, memorable concert moment for me and now here it is on her album. It brings listeners back to Crystal's roots, and the song is a feel-good, down home kinda tune. I'll be blasting it with my windows down this summer.

Sometimes we get lost, like a storm with no name
And I'll leave a trail behind me, everywhere I go
But home is the place where the green grass grows

5. Someday-Someday is a break up song, and Crystal's emotions are raw and real in this tune. She sings that she's not sure what else to do, so she'll write a song. There's no better way to heal a heart than to write about it, I say! It tells a story and it's a really great song and perfectly describes the confusion and hurt that comes along with someone leaving.

And of all the things you left
My heart's the one I'd wish you'd catch
You know everything's fine, 
Then again not everything's fine!

6. I Am- One of the more intimate songs on the album with Crystal's voice just a tad more raw and emotional than the other tracks- as if that were possible. She even sings about how real she is, and that she can't be perfect.. 

But I am real, I am all an easy emotional extravedies/That I see

7. Shine- Oh Lord Jesus this song. Hands down my favorite off the album, this song just gets me right in the heart. Crystal sings her heart out and throws it at us like she wants us to cry with her. I talked about this in my last album review, but I just went through a really nasty breakup, and this song echoes my every feeling. This emotion is the reason I adore Crystal.

And I'm gonna miss you\like you'll never know\I'm gonna live this life as if I'm singing my last show

8. Till The Whisky's Gone-This one has a bit of a rock country edge. It's Crystal telling this guy that she's not ready to leave or give up on them, not until the whisky is gone, admitting that she is empty without him. I love the use of drums in this song. Actually, all the instruments here are pretty stellar. The end is clap worthy, another good live concert song.

I thought that if I brought you here, we'd have a drink or two
Maybe I could change your mind, cause I'm still in love with you!

9. Amen For My Friends- This is a sweet ode to all the people who support us through life. We truly would not be able to make it without them, even the ones who aren't in close distance. Crystal perfectly describes that gratitude in this tune. Every lyric is relatable.

taking it all and 'this is building up inside of me
'Cause tragedy comes in waves and tides
Climb upon this boat and ride 
Saying a prayer tonight for the good in my life

10. Stitches is a duet with Jakob Dylan. Their voices are very different from one another, which makes the song unique and intriguing. It's a song about wanting to heal someone else, stitch them back up from the heartbreak. It's got an old school classic country feel to it, and I love the piano solo!

Tattered and torn in two
There's only one thing I can think of to do
I'll pull out my thimble, my needle and thread
And I'll stitch you back up like new

11. Here's Where The Story Ends- I'm hearing a little Alanis Morrisette in this track, but I could be way off. I dig the vocals, and it's probably the most produced song on the album. After listening to the song a few times, I think that this song is saying goodbye to a bad time in Crystal's life. I like that, it's inspiring and a good message.

12. All That For This- This tune is a bit more country twang, it's a sweet love story and even mentions her little boy. The song points out that they have been through a lot, but it's worth it because they are together and in love. How sweet. I hope I find that one day.

been through it all by now/but if trouble comes around again/we'll whether the storm/we'll be safe

No comments:

Post a Comment