I don't even know how long I've been waiting for this album. I adore Lady Antebellum and have since I saw them when they opened for Martina McBride in 2008. Back then, there wasn't even an album out yet. They had one song on their myspace page. Now look at them! They are incredible musicians. I read somewhere that they really wanted people to relate to this album- and to that I say cheers, you did it.
1. Get To Me- This is a pretty classic Lady A tune, which showcases Hillary's vocals. It has a catchy, cool melody and those sweet, sweet harmonies. The theme is similar to their mega hit "Need You Now", but not nearly as emotional and raw. The lyrics are beautiful, though.
You’re gonna show up and kiss me
Pull me in, hold me tight, love me and carry me away
Like there’s no more tomorrows and no more yesterdays
2. Goodbye Town- Charles Kelley leads the vocals here, and he sounds better than ever. The song is about wanting to escape from the town. There's a really cool part of the song where it quiets down to piano, and Hilary jumps in with a softer vocal. There's also an instrument break toward the end of the tune, and the song surprises us with a treat. Charles carries out the song with an emotional "Goodbye" to the relationship, singing out "you're gonna think of me, you're gonna think of me, when I'm long gone". The outro is outstanding, a hidden little gem on this album.
Oh one day you’re gonna look back on what we had
You’re gonna think of me
You’re gonna think of me
When I’m long gone
3. Nothin' Like The First Time- A sweet song about new love. Both Hillary and Charles sing on the verses, and of course, harmonize perfectly. A relatable song, with a sweet story. One of my favorites.
There's a magic in the way you will always stay
4. Downtown- This is Lady A's first single, and it's already a hit. Hillary shows off her sassy side in this uptemo song. It's a fun song to sing along to, one of their more "fun" singles. Ladies love this one, I think we can all relate. We just want you to take us out, boys.
I got some platforms sittin’ in the corner
They wanna stroll on a city sidewalk
I gotta dress that’ll show a little uh, uh
But you ain’t gonna uh, uh
If you don’t come pick me up...show me off
5. Better Off (Now That You're Gone) I've been excited for this song ever since the track listing was released. And I am 100% satisfied with what I hear. It's got a bit of a rock edge, both instrumentally and lyrically. It's basically a "Screw you, I don't need you" song. There's one point where I really thought they were going to drop the "F bomb". Which would have been kind of awesome, actually. But these are good ole county kids. I love this song, and I can't wait to see what they do with it on a live show.
nights spent with empty bottles and picking up broken glass
I should have known from the very first night that this just never would last
6. It Ain't Pretty-One of my favorites. It's a Hillary song, and a heartbreaking song. I like that this is kind of like a follow up to downtown- now Hillary is downtown alone, crying in the bathroom, surrounded by happy people. The bridge is a little bonechilling, and Hillary's voice almost starts to break at one point. It makes you want to hug her. We've all been there, Hil. It sure ain't pretty when a heart breaks.
I almost dialed your number
To remind you what you did
But I think it might be better
To just let this night end
7. Can't Stand The Rain-So some of my favorite songs from Lady A have been their "inspirational" ones- every album has one...One Day You Will, Hello World, Heart of the World. Can't Stand The Rain has a similar message, about supporting someone when they are going through a hard time and being their umbrella. But it just doesn't quite capture me like the other songs I mentioned.
When you can’t take it even one more day
No I’m never too far away
Even when you feel like you’re out there on your own
No you’re not alone
8. Golden- The band takes a step back from the heavy instruments on this one. It's a beautiful song, with perfect harmonies and a lovely chorus. Although it's a softer song than the Lady A we've seen recently, it's one of their best songs on the album.
From the day you strolled in
My heart was stolen
You’ll be the hand I’m holding
When the heavens open
Cause you are golden
9. Long Teenage Goodbye- A sweet, nostalgic song that makes me want to be 18 again. This one gives us every detail of a teenage romance. It's carefree, exciting and sweet.
Chasing fireworks flashing down the Carolina shore yeah
Arms around me and you called me yours
That salty kiss made me forget about my sunburn
10. All For Love- Hands down, best song on the album. It's also the most dramatic and emotional, much like Need You Now. Both Hillary and Charles sing with such passion here, trading verses and blaming one another for the fall of the relationship. This song almost perfectly describes the fall out my last relationship, so it hits close to home.
Cause what about the times that you said to me
That I was everything that’d you’d ever need
How can you just up and walk away
And look me in the eye and say
You did it all for love
11. Better Man- This is a sweet, low key tune, mainly featuring Charles (although the harmonies are beautiful on the chorus!) and it's his story of the love he has making him, well, a better man. The song doesn't stand out, but it's a good tune and I'm sure it will be used at many weddings. :)
Do you remember that one night we spent in Santé Fe
We drank ourselves into a fight and almost threw it all away
But we talked it out till the bar closed down and we gave it one more try
As they swept the floors, we just sat there laughing till we cried
12. Generation Away- I love love love the idea behind this song- it's fresh and new, taking a break from love and heartbreak. IT's kind of a silly song, but it's fun. I'm sure it will be a crowd pleaser at summer concerts.
Let’s make some memories while we can
Laugh and love, don't miss your chance
Cause He's still got the whole world in His hands, so baby let's dance